Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Things writers Google...

It's been almost four years (FOUR) since I started this crazy journey of writing and self-publishing my book trilogy. I've learned so much along the way, and at the end of the day, I have to give props to a writer's best friend...Google! Today I'm going to share with y'all some of my top Google-ed things since I've been writing.

1.) How to use a colon/semi-colon correctly.

Yup. This is what happens when you don't have the bucks to hire a real editor! In the past I've relied a lot on the help of others to sort out my grammatical issues, but at the end of the day it's just me. I'd like to think my grammar skills have gotten a lot better since the old days, but ehhh...I still Google some of this stuff to straighten myself out. And I'm not too proud to admit it!

2.) Actors who might look like my characters.

I've actually never found any actors that look exactly like my characters in my head. Maybe it's because to me, they're actual real people, complete originals. Yes, I know I sound crazy. We're all crazy! At least I admit to hearing voices in my head!

Even though she's a Disney star, Bella Thorne is the closest match I can find to my favorite red-headed heroine. 



And even though he's a bit older than my character, I think Sam Claflin looks the closest to how I picture Jason. 


Everyone's favorite grandma is of course, and always will be Sean Connery circa Indiana Jones and Last Crusade. I just can't help it!


Will is another hard one for me, but the closest I can get to what's in my head is Thomas Gibson.


3.) Random spy knowledge!

I can't tell you how many things I think I need to know to successfully portray some of the scenarios in my books. I'll just break it down in a sub-list.

a.) How to drive a stick shift (this was for book one, since I have no idea how any of that works)
b.) How to pick a lock. How to pick a lock on handcuffs (book two)
c.) How to break a sleeper hold. (book three) this one is my personal favorite. I ended up watching self-defense videos for around fifteen minutes. That's some informative stuff people!

4.) Location shots!

"Scouting" locations via Google is one of my favorites, though it seriously triggers my wanderlust gene!


Oh you know, just the cafe where Peter and Kit first met.
Machu Picchu

Bridge like in book two.









Bolshoy Kammeny Bridge, Moscow.









Half of book three takes place in Moscow, but the final scenes will be in Hong Kong!


I clearly have a thing for skylines and bridges, I'm well aware.


In case you're wondering, I am nearly done with book three. (Working title is still Final Redemption unless I think of something better!) I'm about to start writing the pivotal final scene and even i'm not 100% sure how it's all going to play out. There will be a few more chapters to pen after that final showdown since it is the last book of the trilogy, so I would like to tie up as many loose ends as possible. I think there are still more stories to tell about Kit and her family and Halcyon, so we'll see what happens next!