Monday, February 27, 2012

What it's like....

When I tell people that I homeschool usually their reaction is something like this, "Wow, that's great, I couldn't do that!" And then they usually go on to elaborate all the reasons why they couldn't possibly homeschool in a million years. I'm really not sure why they do this. I could really care less if you don't want to homeschool, just say so and I promise I won't be offended. In fact, I might be slightly more offended when you basically imply that I'm insane for wanting to. Just saying.

Why do I homeschool? Simple. It's all I know. Really, it would be ten times more foreign and weird for me to consider sending my kids to public school. Probably the same feeling you feel when you think about homeschooling. Does that sound right? I mean, really, for our family it was very much a non-choice.

And yeah, most days I think I'm insane for doing so. Days like today, when it's all just an exercise in futility. An uphill struggle the whole way. Like banging your head against a wall, repeatedly. Enough metaphors for you? You get the idea right? And this is my "good" student we're talking about here!

So again, why do I do it? Why did my mom do it before me? Um, we're insane, that's why. And yeah, my mom reads this blog and I'm sure she's not offended by my saying so! Insanity. Plain and simple. There's also the fact that I can hold this over their heads for as long as I like. The fact that I taught them EVERYTHING. I've already penned, at least in my head, some of my thank yous for when my book gets published. The line to my mom is going to go something like this. For my mom. Who quite literally taught me everything I know.

Someday when my kids are older they'll get it. I hope. And at least appreciate a fraction of what I did for them. You know, like sending them to their rooms because they won't finish their vocabulary worksheet on time.