Friday, August 5, 2011

Gearing up...

For the insanity that is about to go down next week. That's right, it's back-to-school. Technically we were never really out of school, since we did summer school most of the summer. But everything is about to change around here. For one thing, this will be our first year doing school full-time, after lunch and everything. My biggest worry is not how well Elijah will do with this transition, it's how this will all work out with Sophia. Oh that and probably losing my already minuscule free time. It's all about sacrifice when you're a parent what can I say? (Cue dramatic sighing.)

Anyway, yesterday I received in the mail our first shipment of school books. We're still waiting on quite a few more, but it was a good start. I got all my lesson planning stuff together. (Okay seriously I found a really cool website with all these homeschool printables and spent the afternoon burning through the ink on Matthew's printer, oops!). So yeah, then I sat down and did my first round of lesson planning. The rest will have to wait until the other books arrive. Hopefully today or tomorrow, otherwise...ummm?

I know, I know, it sounds like I didn't think this through, huh? I really did. I had actually planned to start the week after next, but all the books were coming I saw no reason to go ahead and get started. So there.

What else? Well. I'm sort of equal parts scared and nervous for next week. For one thing, we wanted to go ahead and start doing a language with Elijah. (Guess whose idea, no really GUESS!) We found a really neat language program for kids his age. They had Latin and Greek, so we let him pick. And OF COURSE he picked Greek. I wanted Latin, but oh well, maybe in third grade. Okay and yeah we can just get this out of the way, my kid is learning Greek and we need to get over ourselves, I know. Trust me, I realize how this might look to other people. But what can you do. Homeschoolers are weirdos, I know, I am one! And the kid seriously wants to learn Greek.

Moving on... the only area in which I'm really unqualified to teach is art. I'm the least artistic person on the planet. My skills, like my mother before me, are limited to smiley faces and stick figures. Also, I'm really not a big fan of anything that makes a mess. Elijah, however, loves to paint and draw (of course he does, right?). I'm always looking for things we might include Sophia in, and this is one of them. I'm really hoping someday she'll realize that crayons are for coloring, not eating. Still waiting... And then I have these insane thoughts like FINGER PAINTING! And PAPER MACHE!!! GLITTER... and then I step away from the coffee pot and forget it

Finger painting...just typing that makes me cringe...

So, anyway, wish us luck, I'm going to need it!