Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Top five...

I don't think I'm going to ruin your opinion of me at all if I admit to you that I'm not completely thrilled with all aspects of parenting. No one's perfect, right? We only pretend to be...

Anyway, I had kind of a long day yesterday. Sophia is working on her one-year molars still, and Elijah, well, he's just Elijah. We're starting school next week so I thought it would be nice to have kind of a lazy week. Of course that was a terrible idea, since none of us do well without a schedule. Oh well. Next week will be better, or worse, I'm not sure yet. I've never taught first grade with a crazy, teething monster running around the house.

For you reading enjoyment, and for my own sanity, I've compiled a list of my top five least favorite things about being a parent....


Number Five: The questions. Oh lawdy the questions. For those of you who still have children who don't talk I say to you, cherish these moments! You don't want them to talk. Especially if you child turns out to be extremely loquacious* like mine. Just this morning, before I'd even started on my coffee Elijah was asking me how TVs worked, then he asked me what whiskey was. WHAAAT?? (He said he read it in his Tin Tin book, which I believe!)

Number Four: Wiping other people's butts and changing diapers, enough said!

Number Three: Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER being allowed a moments peace! Sophia has gotten into the habit of following me into the bathroom lately. Apparently I have a bad habit of not shutting the door all the way, and once I know she's following me in there I just can't slam the door in her face. Well, I guess I could. So she just marches in behind me and shuts the door, like we're going to have a talk or something. And if she's not around, inevitably, Elijah will decide he really needs to talk to me, from outside the bathroom door. Hey, at least he knows to stay out.

Number Two: You can never get enough sleep. I guess I can't complain, considering that I'm not pregnant and don't have a newborn in the house, I get a relatively good amount of sleep these days. Both my kids sleep almost twelve hours a night, and Sophia is napping for 3-4 during the day. My problem is, that no matter how much sleep I get, it's just never enough. I'm always dragging myself out of bed in the morning. I can't remember the last time I felt well-rested in the morning, but I'm going to guess maybe around my honeymoon?

Number One: Being one-hundred percent responsible for two human beings. Getting their meals, getting them dressed, making sure they have something fun to do, teaching them everything they ever needed to know, making sure they are happy, happy, happy, making sure they feel safe, reading to them, brushing their teeth, washing hands, taking them outside to play, teaching them good manners, breaking up fights between siblings, cleaning up after them, playing with them, being a good mommy... no wonder I'm so tired.**


* Yeah, I just used the word "loquacious" pretentious much, Cacey?

** Yes this last one was sort of a joke. We all know how much work kids are, and we all know we love the little buggers to death anyway!