Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Goal Oriented

Like a lot of people, I seem to work best under a little pressure. *Cue panic attack about how I've promised to publish my second book by October, when it is only halfway through the initial editing process!*

Anyway, this year I've been super lazy with motivating myself to work out. And for whatever reason (I'd like to blame the stressful year I've had, or it could be the fact that I'm closing in on 30) I've had more trouble with my weight fluctuating this year. Not a lot, just three pounds up and down all year. In February I was three pounds below my healthy "low" weight. I over-corrected and ended up three pounds over my healthy "high" weight. Right now I'm somewhere around my health "high" weight, which is fine. But I so need to tone up and I need to do it now before it's too late!

I picked a really great time to do it too. A lot of people I know choose the beginning of the school year to re-evaluate their daily goals, so I've done the same. We started back to school last Monday, and since Elijah is now in the second grade, between him and Sophia, I'm literally teaching for five-six hours daily. On top of that I've got my regular household chores, plus my own personal goals...Usually writing, editing, working out and oh, showering! So it's a lot. I feel like every day is jam-packed, even if we don't leave the house. And we do, two days a week we have baseball and next week we start back to our church's mom's group once a week!

What was I saying? Oh yeah, working out! Everyone knows I swear by Jillian Michael's 30 day shred. But I'm getting a little bored. Today I improvised a little doing this ab workout I found on Pinterest, and a lot of the cardio and strength training moves on Jillian's DVD.

Oh and to compound my goal-oriented/anal-retentiveness I wrote down my entire workout as went. (Also, so I can do it again later this week, without a single DVD!)

Workout Pics 001 Yeah, so it looks like a lot, but it only took me forty minutes total! The main focus I had today was my abs (blah). That seems to be my main problem area lately. Especially now since I have diastasis recti, which means my stomach muscles are permanently split after my second pregnancy (thank you nine pound baby Sophia!) My midwife said mine is pretty severe, so the chances of repairing it without surgery by exercising is pretty slim, but a girl can try! And yes I feel like jell-o right now and I badly need a shower!

As far as my other goals, I make a daily list of things I need to accomplish and then check them off as I go through the day. Today they were: School! (Duh), change sheets, sweep kitchen, vacuum, workout (45 mins), edit (30 mins), write (30 minutes), and email the gazillion people I need to for all the various church events I'm organizing this year.

Fun stuff! The writing usually has to wait until mid-afternoon or after the kids go to bed. Last night I worked until 9:30, so yeah.