Friday, June 10, 2011

Impulsive...

So, I colored my hair yesterday. It was much-needed. The top four inches of my hair were my natural medium, mousy brown. The rest was faded reddish brown. It wasn't that noticeable, but it was bugging me. I ran into Target Wednesday night for literally ten seconds, I had one other thing to pick up and a baby on my hip. So I basically grabbed the second box of color I saw. The first that I was drawn to was a super-brilliant red. I think it was the same color I did last summer. The Ronald McDonald red. It was fun last year, but my hair is so much longer now I decided I wasn't ready for it. So I picked my usual medium auburn shade.

Well, after coloring it I was kind of surprised that it was much lighter than my hair usually turns out. Usually it's a shade darker than I wanted, but it doesn't bother me since it fades out in the first few washes. This was a nice coppery-red, different than my usual color, but I liked it okay.

Unfortunately, even after straightening it and everything, my hair still looked terrible. I realized pretty quickly that the reason was that it hadn't been cut in a while. And by a while I mean a YEAR! So I did what any woman would do, I called my stylist, or at least the one I used a year ago. And I quickly found out that the salon had closed down! Now, normally I would scramble to find a back-up, but I've got stylist-trust issues, big time. And I don't trust many people with my hair. So then I did what most people would do in my situation...

I took out my scissors and cut it myself! Now, in my defense, I am a licensed cosmetologist and worked full-time in a salon for many years. Okay, like two years. But still, I've been cutting hair since I was eighteen and have cut my own several times.

It always seems like such a good idea at the time. I know how to cut hair, I need a haircut, therefore I should cut my own hair, right? Ehhh, wrong! About halfway through I begin to really question my sanity.

It always turns out okay in the end, it just takes me going back over it a few times to perfect it. And it's not something I can do long-term because the middle back always stays a little longer since you have to pull it to the front to cut it. Eventually you'll end up with a bit of a "tail" in the back. So I guess I need to work out my trust issues and find a good stylist soon.

Oh right, you want to see a picture?


Cacey

Aaaaand I just realized I'm not wearing make-up, sorry. And yes, that's a miniature football player action figure over my shoulder. And yes, I live in a library.