Friday, June 3, 2011

One of those days...

In case you missed it, my status update from yesterday afternoon read something like, "So far today I've managed to flood the kitchen, flash an old man at the beach and lock myself out of the house. Maybe I should just go back to bed."

And that's pretty much how it went down, and I'd like to say it got better from there, but it really didn't.

As far as the kitchen flooding, well, that's happened before. Blame the washing machine and poor plumbing. I'm still trying to finish washing clothes, but it's going to be a slow process until we can get a plumber out. For now I just have to keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't happen again. Which means I can't leave the house until I'm done washing clothes.

As far as the second thing. Well, let's not go there. Let's just say the blame falls on Sophia for that one! And really, I'm not positive he saw anything, but I was still mortified! Thanks Sophia. Let's not repeat that one, okay?

And as far as locking myself out of the house, well, that's happened before too. See we have two back doors. One that leads out of our apartment (which is the bottom floor of an old three-story house) and one that leads to the hall with the staircase that goes to the top floors. So you have to unlock two doors to get in. After we got back from the beach (which was a complete disaster because it was so windy we had to leave before the kids got sand blown in their eyes). I put the kids in the bath, Sophia got washed and went straight to bed. Elijah will play in the tub until it's cold so I went to put away out beach stuff while he stayed in. Of course my beach bag was full of sand so I went to dump it out. I left our door open, of course, but when I went through the second door it blew shut behind me. Normally that wouldn't be a problem, but it's the kind of door that locks behind you unless you turn the thing, which I didn't. Which meant I was locked out. And even though there are other occupants in our building, I am usually the only one home during the day. Which meant I had to pound on the back door and yell until Elijah heard me and came to let me in (dripping wet and stark naked). Thank goodness for five-year-olds! On the other hand, the only thing I had left in my beach bag was my cellphone, so I could have called the landlord if necessary.

So there you have it. On top of all that Sophia has been super crabby lately, I think maybe she might be teething again? I'm kind of hoping she is and that explains the crazy behavior. Or we're just hitting the terrible twos a year early. I'm also trying to get her on a better sleeping schedule. I made her stay up until eight last night in hopes that she might sleep in today. And she did! At least, until seven. I'll take it!

Here's hoping today will be better than yesterday, though that shouldn't be too hard!