Friday, October 28, 2011

Everyone has a weakness, here's mine...

So, I guess I've been living under a rock lately. (I'd like to call that rock "being a stay-at-home-mom-homeschool mom and wife to a husband who is way overloaded this semester") But I just now have become aware of the whole "Pinterest" phenomenon. Like a lot of things that become popular, I'm the last to know. (What is this whole iPhone thing I keep hearing about?) Well, because I'm a sucker for peer-pressure, I decided to check it out.

Now, from what I've been hearing from friends, Pinterest has a lot to do with decorating ideas and craft ideas. Um, well, not much decorating going on here. My couches were hand-me-downs from my parents (well, you all know one of my couches currently resides in my front hallway!), my curtains are also hand-me-downs from my parents. The only things hanging on our walls are wedding photos (because in my head I'm still 20 and gorgeous as I was that day) a cheap skyline print of NYC from Target...and a clock. Yep, decorated! Also, I had a cutesy little painted sign that I fell in love with that read "...and they lived happily ever after" but it went missing after we moved. I suspect Matthew had something to do with this. I loved that sign!

Anyway, like I was saying, I'm not overly into decorating or crafts. I was leery of Pinterest just because I was afraid it would be just the kind of thing to make someone like me feel not content in their life. After all, I don't even really have a house to decorate, or money to decorate with. And for the past six years I've done a pretty good job with being content regarding my place in life...ahem, as a moderately poor person. So I try hard to stay away from things that might screw that up for me...like Pinterest. And I was doing a pretty good job of it. Until today, I decided to see what all the fuss was about. Hellooo Achilles heel, guess what I found on there??

Homeschool rooms! Ahhhh. Omigosh. MUST.HAVE.SCHOOL.ROOM! Tidy little organized desks, blackboards on the wall, cute little cubby holes with school supplies, maps on the wall. Did I mention ORGANIZED!?!ah, currently our school room situation is like this: Elijah has a little desk in the living room and I have half a shelf on the bottom bookshelf that I literally STOLE from Matthew. Do you know what I'd give to have a school room like some of the ones shown on Pinterest? Well, let's just say it wouldn't be legal.

Weakness, major weakness. And so there you go. Must walk away and go back to being content with my situation in life, which currently does not include a schoolroom, sadly. Put it on the list of things like "second bathroom" and "kitchen with actual counter tops". Someday perhaps. In the meantime, I guess there's no actual harm in looking at these dream school rooms. Or is there?

2 comments:

  1. Haha! I have found that there are widely varied opinions on pinterest. Jeff has loved me being on there, though, because I've found some great recipes that he has enjoyed. I try not to take it too seriously. I pin the things I like for whatever reason, and I'm not on there for more than 5 minutes a day, if that. It's fun to "dream" about things, but it's also fun to get ideas for things - I got a lot of good ideas for our pumpkin party from it, for instance. I already follow several party planning blogs, and pinterest makes it easy to save all my favorite ideas in one spot - even if I have to skim them down to a very frugal budget. I'm going to do a wish list for the girls Christmas presents on there, too, to make it easier for family to know what to get them. I say there is nothing wrong with dreaming because it gives you motivation to work harder to get there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha you crack me up, Cacey. Yeah, that's pretty much why I haven't checked out Pintrest either... That, and the fact that I don't feel like I have the time? But those school rooms do sound cute! In my reality, any organized picture wouldn't translate into our actual home... for more than a few hours, anyway. Ha! :) I just give you props for being a SAHM teaching mama/wife! Woo!! Go Cacey!! :) Even if you don't have a Type A expensive, designer school room... you're pretty fantastic. xoxo

    ReplyDelete