Friday, December 2, 2011

Not like riding a bike...

Many, many moons ago...okay so about four years ago to be exact, I started potty training my first born. Yes, if you do the math he was exactly eighteen months. Yes, I was pretty much insane, as most first time parents are. Also, I really had nothing better to do with my time! In my defense he was showing signs of interest quite often and had even gotten to the point where he would tell us when he needed to go. He would use hand-signs, interestingly enough, since he was still quite non-verbal at that age. Boy those were the days! Only one kid! And one that didn't speak at that!!

Now Sophia is at that same age, about a month ago she frequently started telling us "boo boo" when she was, well, you know, going boo boo. Hilarious. But, her being my second born and me being a little busier than I was when Elijah was this age, I haven't really done anything about it. It took Elijah around eight more months before he was officially potty trained, so I figured there was no big rush. Plus, I've heard a rumor, and I hope it's true, that girls are easier to train than boys. Elijah was super easy, so maybe Sophia will be...easier? Somehow I'm doubtful. Maybe because Sophia doesn't do anything you want her to. She does things her way.

Anyway, for Christmas my mom decided to buy Sophia a little pink potty. I had a feeling she'd be getting plenty of toys, in fact I KNOW she's getting plenty of toys, so I thought it was a good idea. Again, Sophia has been showing a lot of interest in the potty, even requesting to occasionally sit on the big potty, so my mom said it was okay if she went ahead and started using her Christmas present when it came. And it came, it all it's pink glory. (Does everything have to be pink when you're a girl? Why yes, yes it does!) Sophia of course was completely thrilled and sat on it right away. Fully clothed, in the living room...while watching cartoons. Why not? Yesterday we moved it into our already cramped bathroom. And here we are again, potty training? Ehh maybe not so much. But we're getting comfortable with the idea.

See, that's the problem with having kids four years apart. I think I've quite forgotten how to do all this. For the life of me I can't remember exactly how I managed potty training success before. And of course, there's always the proverbial problem of every child being completely different. I happen to know for a fact that my two kids couldn't be more opposite if they tried.

Where does that leave me? Clueless. And completely winging it. Kind of like I did the first time, and that turned out alright, didn't it?

(Oh and she did go "boo boo" on the potty today, and was quite nonplussed by the whole thing.)