Tuesday, January 17, 2012

What's goin' on?

A whole lot that's what! And at the same time absolutely nothing. Isn't that strange? I can't quite explain it any clearer than that.

I don't like January, try as I might, I just don't. I know it's supposed to be a new year and new beginnings, but I still don't like it. Maybe it's the weather? Though it's been milder here than my previous Janaurys in Connecticut  I still don't like having the whole dark, gloomy cold winter looming before me. Essentially, January for me is just tuck your head down and make it through. No matter how I look at it January just sucks.

Hmmm, as usual, complaining always makes you feel better, doesn't it. No...not really. Well, that's never stopped me before. Basically, I've been getting through this month by hiding out and doing nothing. Today was the first day we actually had anything on our schedule. A double whammy of mom's group/playdate and a dentist appointment for Elijah. And then run home for nap and school. Yeah I'm exhausted. And that's pretty lame.

I'm still going to blame the weather, and the fact that there is like, zero sunshine today. But who am I kidding anyway? I'm a totaly hermit and I hate being outdoors. Okay I don't hate it, but I only like it when it's pretty. Which is hard to come by here....

What else? Ah, well, I'm totally slacking in the family blog department and I'm pretty sure the grandparents will start protesting soon unless I get up some new pics. Here's the problem, Sophia has fully transitioned into hyper, crazy, constantly on the go toddler mode and it's pretty much impossible to get a good picture of her lately. I've got a good one of her feet sticking out from underneath the curtains and a few of her running past me in a blurry pink blur, but that's about it. Basically, she's keeping me on my toes. Elijah's back to school now five days a week, and we're getting there. Some days are better than others, but at least he's learning a lot. And I'm probably slowly going insane, but whatever...

Matthew is taking three classes again this semester as well as working twenty hours, yep, it's insane as it sounds. You would have thought we'd learned out lesson with last years craziest semester ever, but no, we're doing it again! On the other hand, he made the best grades to date, so maybe he works well under pressure.

As for pressure, well, I sent out five more queries to agents today. Big sigh. I already got two replies from last weeks bunch. Two rejections of course. Though it could take up to four weeks to hear back from some of them. And yes, a no reply is a no. I'm doing okay with it so far. The first one was the hardest. I'm not going to lie. There was a constant refrain of "You suck, you're not good enough" the following day, but after that I was fine. The second rejection was much easier, and surprisingly, the nicest rejection letter I've ever read! In a way it made me feel completely legitimate like someone is out there taking my work seriously and taking the trouble to email me back and say we weren't a good fit but good luck! Crazy, I know.

So that's where we stand, seventeen days into the new year. Heads tucked, surviving. Looking forward to Spring already.


1 comment:

  1. I've come to the concluson that the smarter animals are the ones that hibernate through January. I would if my job would let me.

    ReplyDelete