Friday, February 3, 2012

Lowered expectations...

Remember that whole "January sucks but February will be awesome" stuff I was saying just a few days ago?

I take it back. All of it. January still sucked, but February is not my friend either. At least, not yet.

February started out nice, super nice, to be honest. It was sixty degrees and sunny. The kids and I went for a long and much needed walk down by the beach. But somehow, just a few hours later things took a turn for the worst. In fact, it was a very fast downward spiral from there. Around four I started feeling unwell. Like really unwell. Turned on PBS for the kids and curled up on the bed in a fetal position unwell. Matthew came home around five and despite the fact that I knew he probably had tons of homework to do I asked him to feed the kids dinner, which he did willingly. I think I got out of bed around seven, still not feeling any better, but unable to sleep.

And then it hit, the stomach but of 2012, which I'm pretty sure no one in this house will soon forget. By nine (don't read this if you're squeamish, like, not a mom!), everyone in this house was throwing up, a lot. Everyone except Sophia, who thankfully slept through it all. It was brutal.

Elijah seemed to get the brunt of it and I recovered the quickest. Thank goodness because someone had to be washing sheets. Oy. I cringe just thinking about it.

Wait...halt...am I really writing a blog post about this? Yeah I think I am. I'll spare you the rest of the details. Elijah and Matthew still aren't feeling up to par, unfortunately. Sophia is not quite herself either.

So February, what's the deal? Or does 2012 just hate me in general??

Let's look on the brightside: Today is February third. Next week we're getting our tax refund which means one thing to me... frivolous shopping! Two weeks from now I'm boarding a plane to head down South to spend the weekend with some amazing women (where I will give sock bun lessons). And then, one month from now it will be MY BIRTHDAY!

So there's that. Truce, February?