Thursday, February 7, 2013

Lost in the echo...

The song title theme continues. Actually I've just been picking whatever song is stuck in my head at the time. This is today's.

Since Finding Sanctuary is pretty much done, besides actually being published, I'm taking a much-needed break from writing. Ever since I published London Escape last June I feel like I've done nothing but write, write, write, edit, edit, edit, proofread...well you get the idea. It's a lot of work. Especially when you're basically doing everything yourself. And my books aren't long books, so I shouldn't complain. LE was 60K words and FS is 71K. So yeah, not exactly a ton of writing.

What was I saying? Oh yes. So I'm taking a break and actually reading and not writing at all. (That's not to say I didn't read last year, because I read 75 books.) Day before yesterday I finally got my hands on Ready Player One, which I've been dying to read and ended up reading it in less than twenty-four hours. After that I moved on to a highly recommended book (it's been blowing up on my Goodreads feed) called The Nobodies Album.

 Some books you're not sure about when you start, others you like right away. This one I knew I liked right away. I just really enjoyed the narrators "voice" right from the get-go. Especially since this particular narrator is a writer. Literally at 1% on my kindle there was this quote: "I've always known that the best part of writing occurs before you've picked up a pen. When a story exists only in your mind, its potential is infinite; it's only when you start pinning words to paper that it becomes less than perfect."

I wanted to shout, "yes!" Because I totally get that feeling. Currently, I'm in my most favorite portion of book writing on my third book. Just sitting around imagining every scene in my head before finally sitting down to write it all out. And it happens at weird times, too. This past Sunday I actually found myself sitting alone during the service and for some insane reason started visualizing the one of the most pivotal scenes in book three. Strange. But like the quote I posted, nothing I can ever write on paper will compare with what I see in my head, in it's most perfect form.