Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The wind...

So, that's over with. And by that I mean the contest. I was expecting the finalists to be announced around noon today, but was surprised to see at nine on the dot they had already been posted. I nearly had a panic attack when I clicked to open the PDF file. It was alphabatzed by first name, so I knew when to expect my name. Of course, I didn't see it. I'm trying to not take it too hard, obviously. But...well, that's hard too.

No one wants to feel like they're destined for mediocrity. I've said from the beginning I think my book is good, not great, but good. I'm proud of it. I like that people like it. And I know I've said a million times that I refuse to let the lack of mainstream success define my own view of success.

Again, that's hard.

For now I'm focusing on what I do know.

  • I wrote a book, actually I wrote two. Two and half if you want to get technical.
  • People like my book, for the most part, as far as I know.
  • I will always be writing, always trying to get better. I'm only 27 (almost 28) I have my whole life to get published.
  • I love writing, and I will never stop. No matter how many times my manuscripts get rejected. Hell, London Escape has been rejected some sixty-odd times.
For now I'm going to focus on getting Finding Sanctuary out there by the end of the month. I have a few decisions I need to make regarding that, but it should be forthcoming soon. 

Today's song...


2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear the news. I know it is disappointing. Have you read this? This was an epiphany for me with my photography:

    http://therumpus.net/2010/08/dear-sugar-the-rumpus-advice-column-48-write-like-a-motherfucker/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that was interesting. I think I'm just at the point where I'm trying to decide how I want to move forward from here.

      Delete