Thursday, April 28, 2011

Guess what?

It's rainy/cold/icky out again today. Which also means I'm feeling lazy/uninspired/sleepy. Also, now I'm suffering from a horrible case of Groundhog Day...make that Groundhog Week or Month, for that matter. Except that I'm not sick anymore the past few weeks seem to be repeating endlessly. Err, didn't I say I was in a good mood yesterday? Yeah I did, because the SUN WAS SHINING. And today the sun is not shining. At all.

So there was my Spring, it lasted three days.

In other news. Matthew turned in his paper yesterday and it's as though a huge weight has been lifted off our shoulders. Well, mostly his, but I have sympathy stress for him! He only has one final next week for his Septuagint class (in his words, "it shouldn't be too hard, but I should probably study". Really?) So the end is near! Next week he just starts working full-time hours. This is one of the many reason I love summer. No homework for him to do in the evenings and paychecks that are twice the usual size.

I'm still trying to decide what to do with Elijah over the summer. I suppose we'll do some sort of summer school (mean mommy!) because I don't want him forgetting what 2 plus 2 is and all. He's completely blown his first grade reading program out of the water. He can read pretty much anything things days, which makes me proud and annoyed that I can't spell anything out in front of him anymore. C-R-A-P!

I've completely given up on Sophia ever sleeping through the night. No, I'm not kidding it will never happen. Last week, because she was pretty much refusing to nurse during the day I started giving her a little whole milk in a sippy cup. Of course she loved and I successfully weaned my baby! During the day that is. Turns out cow milk is fine in the day, but at two a.m. is has to be from Mommy! Yay me. Sophia, you're doing it WRONG! I could care less if I was still nursing her in the day a few times. In fact, I could even be convinced to keep nursing her past a year (Sophia are you listening?) if all she wanted was a little in the day, or maybe right before bed. But seriously? Enough with the night feedings already. And before you suggest cry it out (because I know you're thinking about it right now) it WILL.NOT.WORK. And also, you haven't met my daughter. Seriously, the most stubborn child on the PLANET! If I refuse to nurse her when she gets up at whatever ungodly hour she chooses we will be up all night. All night. This is not an exaggeration by any means. So here we are. I believe this is called an impasse, which sounds much nicer than "my eleven month old runs the show around here". I don't know, maybe it won't last much longer, maybe I'll still be breastfeeding her at two am when she's ten, only time will tell.

Ramble on...

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried giving her a hearty (tummy-filling) snack just before bed? Lily went through a phase at 9-12 months old where she woke up every 2 hours all night long. It took me that long to figure out that she was hungry. I'm a slow learner. We started giving her 2 baby yogurts after dinner as a before bed snack, and that did it. Maybe it could help? Unless Lily's sick (like now, she's nursing all day long because that's all she can take without it hurting her throat), she's only nursing twice a day now. Once at nap time and once at bedtime. And, knock on wood, she has been sleeping through the night for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Julie gave good advice about the snack. I would try that. The night is pretty long for a little tiny tummy. Tank her up and see if she might sleep through instead of waking hungry. Good luck! Mariele is VERY SLOWLY weaning. I thought we were finished when she went 9 days without it, and then she randomly dug it out one evening when we were watching a movie. UGHHH. And she is stubborn too. Will throw one heck of a fit if refused. So we are nursing every few days now.....

    ReplyDelete