Tuesday, March 8, 2011

There's no such thing...

as too much sleep. Or, at least that's the way I see it. Seriously, I could sleep twelve hours at night (yes please!) and still take a two hour nap in the afternoon. Now, when have I ever gotten to do that? Um, probably the last time was when I was a teenager with little or no responsibilities. So, yeah, I love sleep just a little, I mean a lot.

I haven't had a full nights sleep, eight hours straight, in...let's see...eighteen months, give or take. That's nine for the nine months I was pregnant and didn't sleep well, and nine for the nine months I've had a baby that insists on being nursed at night still. Okay, that's about as bad as counting down the days to your beach vacation when you're still 100+ days out, but what can I say, I'm a glutton for punishment. Just to add insult to injury, I never take a nap either. Occasionally on a Sunday afternoon I might manage a hour nap if I can time it just right, but that's about it.

I guess it just comes with the territory. The funny thing is, even with the minimum amount of sleep I'm getting these days, I'm really not that tired most days. I chalk that up to just doing so much my body doesn't even have a chance to recognize that it's tired, and if it does, I just drink another cup of coffee! Works every time! Although there is the inevitable crash at the end of the day that comes at the exact time the kids go to bed. Eight o clock and I'm on the couch, done. Usually I watch TV with Matthew or write. Sometimes I do both. For as I tired as I am, I can never convince myself to go to bed before eleven. I need those three hours to myself!

Last night was not a typical night. I guess because it was Monday and I tend to do ten times as much on a Monday than a usual day. But I went to bed at nine thirty! I haven't gone to bed that early in ages. Even better Sophia slept longer than usual too. She's usually up for her night feeding at around one-ish, last night she never made a peep until three! Actually I was the one who woke of first, disoriented from the huge amount of sleep I had gotten. Ha! Ever after I fed her and put her back in her bed I laid awake for a few minutes, strangely wide awake.

Hmmm, maybe there is such a thing as too much sleep? And apparently six hours straight is all I need. Great, just great. I'll still take twice that amount any day! And a nap too, please.